OSHA Education Center is a DOB-approved Site Safety Training (SST) provider that is authorized to issue Full SST Worker cards. Apply for your SST card 100% online whether you completed your training with us or any other Department-approved training provider.
About SST Worker Cards
Official Proof of Training for:
40 hours of Site Safety Training
New York City Department of Buildings (DOB)
What You Get:
Wallet-Sized Full SST Worker Card with Your Photo and Other Security Features
Which SST Courses Are Required to Earn an SST Card?
To earn your SST Worker card, you need to complete 40 hours of DOB-approved Site Safety Training courses. One of the simplest ways current workers can meet this requirement is by completing the three following courses:
- OSHA Outreach 30-Hour Construction training
- SST 8-Hour Fall Prevention
- SST 2-Hour Drug and Alcohol Awareness
New entrants to the NYC construction industry must complete the following courses:
- OSHA 10-Hour Class
- 8-Hour Fall Prevention
- 8-Hour Site Safety Manager Refresher/Chapter 33
- 4-Hour Supported Scaffold
- 2-Hour Drug and Alcohol Awareness
- 4 Hours of General Electives
- 4 Hours of Special Electives
SST General Elective options include:
SST Special Elective options include:
For more information, read our guide to NYC Local Law 196.
What Else Do I Need to Provide to Get My SST Card?
In addition to meeting the DOB's 40-hour training requirement, you must provide documents that prove your identity and address. You also need to submit certificates of completion for any SST courses you completed with a provider other than OSHA Education Center.
Requirements for SST Card Photo
You must provide a photograph that will be printed on your SST card. You can upload an image from your phone or computer, or you can take a new photo with your phone or webcam during the application process for your card. Your photo must meet the requirements outlined below.
The photo must be:
- In color
- Clear and in focus
- No more than two years old
- Unaltered by computer software
- Taken in front of a plain cream or light gray background
The image must:
- Show a close-up of your head and shoulders with no other objects or people visible
- Be in clear contrast to the background
- Display no red eye or shadows
- Be between 29 and 34 millimeters high from the crown to the chin
For the photo, you need to:
- Face forward and look directly into the camera
- Have a neutral/closed facial expression
- Have nothing covering your face
- Have nothing covering your head (unless it is worn for religious or medical reasons)
- Have your eyes open, visible and free from reflection or glare from glasses
- Make sure your eyes aren't covered by sunglasses, tinted glasses, glasses frames or hair
Requirements for Proof of Identity
You must provide proof of your identity to be issued an SST card. Your proof must include documentation that verifies your address and appearance.
Option 1: Provide documents that display your address and photo, such as your New York driver license or another official photo ID card.
Option 2: Provide one document that satisfies the photo requirement and one that satisfies the address requirement. Proof of address documents can include bills, letters or property documents.
SST Course Certificates
If you completed one or more SST courses with a DOB-approved provider other than OSHA Education Center, you must submit your course completion certificates for validation before we can issue your SST card. No validation is required for SST courses you completed with OSHA Education Center.
When Will I Receive My SST Card?
After we complete our fast review process to verify your training, we'll mail you your SST card within 10 business days. If there is an issue with any of your training certificates or identity documents, we'll notify you about the problem and explain how to resubmit the proper documentation.
Do SST Cards Expire?
According to the Department of Buildings, SST cards expire after five years. You can renew your card by completing eight hours of DOB-approved training. You're required to complete these training hours in the one-year period before you submit your renewal application.