The 1-Hour Stairways and Ladders course is a DOB-approved Site Safety Training (SST) course that explains how to safely use, maintain and inspect ladders and stairways on the construction worksite.
This 100% online course provides one hour of DOB-approved Site Safety Training General Elective credit that you can apply toward your Full SST card. You'll learn about various types of stairways and ladders, common hazards to avoid and regulations governing stair and ladder use.
About the 1-Hour Stairways and Ladders Course
Free audio narration and Live Chat support
New York City Department of Buildings (DOB)
100% online course
Instant digital certificate for 1 Special Elective hour of Site Safety Training
NYC construction and demolition workers who need an SST Worker card or SST Supervisor card
Who Should Take 1-Hour Stairways and Ladders?
This DOB-approved SST course is designed for New York City construction workers seeking an SST Worker or Supervisor card under Local Law 196.
NYC Construction workers who require this training may include:
- Construction and demolition workers
- Construction Superintendents
- Site Safety Coordinators
- Site Safety Managers
- Competent Persons
- Journeypersons and forepersons
- Other workers at jobsites that require a Site Safety Plan
For additional information on SST training requirements, including elective options and which workers are affected, see our guide to Local Law 196.
The 1-Hour Stairways and Ladders course educates workers about various types of ladders and stairways found on construction worksites. You'll review important regulatory guidelines for stairs and ladders and learn how to recognize and avoid the most common hazards associated with their use.
The course is 100% online and approved by the New York City Department of Buildings (DOB). It provides one hour of Site Safety Training (SST) General Elective credit that NYC construction workers can apply toward their Full SST card.
Benefits of 1-Hour Stairways and Ladders:
- 24/7 course access
- Guaranteed to pass
- Log off anytime without losing your place
- Audio narration
- Interactive quizzes
The course takes at least one hour to complete. You must take a five-question quiz at the end of each module and pass a 20-question comprehensive final exam. The exam and all quizzes are multiple choice, and you have an unlimited number of attempts to pass. You must complete the final exam in one sitting.
You are required to score at least 80% on each quiz and at least 70% on the final exam to receive SST course credit. Once you pass each course module quiz and the final exam, you can instantly download a digital Certificate of Completion. You must complete your training within 180 days of purchase.
This course does not provide an SST card. To get your SST card, you need to finish all your required training and provide the course certificates to OSHA Education Center or another DOB-approved Site Safety Training provider.
American Safety Council is accredited by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). American Safety Council complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard, which is recognized internationally as a standard of excellence in instructional practices. As a result of this accreditation, American Safety Council is authorized to issue the IACET CEU.
American Safety Council is authorized by IACET to offer 0.1 CEUs for this program.
This course teaches New York City construction workers how to avoid common injuries related to stairway and ladder use. You'll learn regulations for stair design and means of egress as well as the correct way to erect, ascend and descend ladders.
Upon completing the course, you will be able to:
- Describe regulations governing the components of a stairway system
- List common ladder types and the safety guidelines that apply to them
- Explain appropriate methods for inspecting, using and maintaining ladders
- Identify common hazards associated with ladders and stairways
You can find an outline of all course modules below.
The course is divided into three modules about stairway and ladder safety. Each module ends with a brief quiz, and you must complete a final exam to receive your SST training credit.
The course introduction provides a brief overview of the course, including key learning objectives and facts about Site Safety Training.
Module 1: Stairways
Topics covered in Module 1 include:
- Stairway components
- Access and egress standards
- Stairway inspection procedures
Learning objectives include:
- Name the components of a stairway system
- Identify regulatory guidelines concerning stair design and means of egress
- List inspection standards for stairway and stair tower systems on construction worksites
Module 2: Ladders
Topics covered in Module 2 include:
- Types of ladders
- Choosing the right ladder for the job
- Ladder maintenance and inspection
- Ascending and descending ladders
- Safety devices for fixed ladders
Learning objectives include:
- Name common ladder types and ladder safety devices
- Explain how to choose the appropriate ladder for the job
- List the correct methods for erecting, ascending and descending a ladder
Module 3: Hazards, Training and Resources
Topics covered in Module 3 include:
- Training requirements for ladder and stairway use
- Common stairway hazards and safety violations
- Common ladder hazards and safety violations
Learning objectives include:
- State how improper stair and ladder use can injure workers
- Explain how failing to account for hazards can lead to worker injuries and deaths
- List OSHA resources that address workers' rights to a safe workplace
The course ends with an exam that assesses the student's comprehension and understanding of all course and module objectives.