The 8-hour Site Safety Manager Refresher course provides eight hours of DOB-approved Site Safety Training (SST) that you can apply toward your Worker SST card.
About the 8-Hour Site Safety Manager Refresher/Chapter 33 Course
Free audio narration and Live Chat support
New York City Department of Buildings (DOB)
100% online course
Instant digital certificate for eight hours of DOB-approved Site Safety Training
NYC construction and demolition workers who need an SST Worker card or SST Supervisor card
Who Should Take 8-Hour Site Safety Manager Refresher/Chapter 33?
The 8-Hour Site Safety Manager Refresher course is designed for New York City construction workers seeking an SST Worker or Supervisor card.
NYC Construction workers who require this training may include:
- Construction and demolition workers
- Construction Superintendents
- Site Safety Coordinators
- Site Safety Managers
- Competent Persons
- Journeypersons and forepersons
- Other workers at jobsites that require a Site Safety Plan
For more information on SST requirements, including who it affects and important training deadlines, see our guide to Local Law 196.
The 8-Hour Site Safety Manager Refresher/Chapter 33 course is an in-depth review of topics covered in the DOB 40-hour Site Safety Manager Training course.
This refresher provides extensive guidance on construction worksite safety management, accident prevention and NYC safety regulations. It covers OSHA 1926 standards and New York City Construction Codes, including Chapter 33 on required safeguards for construction and demolition work.
To pass the course, you must complete a five-question quiz on each module and a 20-question comprehensive final exam. The exam and all quizzes are multiple choice, and you have an unlimited number of attempts to pass.
You are required to score at least 80% on each quiz and at least 70% on the final exam to receive SST course credit. Once you pass each course module quiz and the final exam, you can instantly download a digital Certificate of Completion.
The course takes at least eight hours to finish. You must complete your training within 180 days of purchase. To get your SST card, you need to finish all your required training and provide the course certificates to OSHA Education Center or another DOB-approved Site Safety Training provider.
American Safety Council is accredited by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). American Safety Council complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard, which is recognized internationally as a standard of excellence in instructional practices. As a result of this accreditation, American Safety Council is authorized to issue the IACET CEU.
Benefits of 8-Hour Site Safety Manager Refresher/Chapter 33
This 100% online course is approved by the New York City Department of Buildings. Upon completion of the Site Safety Manager Refresher course, you'll receive eight hours of Site Safety Training that you can apply toward your full SST card.
Other course benefits include:
- 24/7 course access
- Log on and off as needed
- Audio narration
- Interactive quizzes
- Unlimited attempts at quizzes and final exam
Once you successfully pass the course, you can instantly download your Certificate of Completion.
The 8-Hour Site Safety Manager Refresher course educates workers on site safety management, site safety plan requirements and a wide range of safety protocols for construction work in New York City.
Upon completing the course, you will be able to:
- Identify Site Safety Manager roles and responsibilities
- Explain the procedures and qualifications needed to receive, renew and maintain a Site Safety Manager certification
- Prevent hazards and worksite accidents through the application of OSHA 1926 construction standards and NYC Construction Codes
- Build a comprehensive Site Safety Plan and Emergency Action Plan according to NYC DOB requirements
- Describe common worksite safety violations and DOB penalties for noncompliance
- Develop safe, industry-standard practices for the use of tools and heavy equipment
You can find an outline of all course modules below.
The course is divided into 12 modules that will refresh your knowledge of site safety management. Each module ends with a review and brief quiz, and you must complete a final exam to satisfy your required SST training hours.
- Course Overview and Learning Objectives
- Navigating the Course
Module 1: Site Safety Management and Oversight
- Site Safety Manager Descriptions
- Worksite Safety Supervision
- Module 1 Quiz
Module 2: Certificate Requirements for Site Safety Managers
- Construction Sites Requiring a Site Safety Manager
- Receiving and Renewing a Certificate
- Module 2 Quiz
Module 3: An Overview of New York City Construction Codes
- Title 1: Rules of the City of New York
- 2014 NYC Fire Code: Chapter 14
- 1968 NYC Building Code
- 2008 NYC Construction Codes — General Administrative
- 2008 NYC Building Code
- 2014 NYC Construction Codes — General Administrative
- 2014 NYC Building Code
- Module 3 Quiz
Module 4: An Overview of New York City Department of Buildings Regulations
- NYC Department of Buildings Overview
- Administrative Operating Policies and Procedures
- Permits, Forms, Filing and Site Documents
- Wind and Weather Advisories
- Module 4 Quiz
Module 5: Site Safety Plan Requirements
- Site Safety Plan Regulations
- Components of the Site Safety Plan
- Basic Blueprints for Site Safety Plans
- Module 5 Quiz
Module 6: Accidents on the Worksite
- Common Causes of Construction Accidents
- Construction Accident Statistics
- Construction Accident Case Studies
- Construction Accident Prevention
- Module 6 Quiz
Module 7: Four Major Worksite Hazards — OSHA 1926
- Electrocution Hazards
- Fall Hazards
- Struck-By Hazards
- Caught-In or -Between Hazards
- Module 7 Quiz
Module 8: Reoccurring Worksite Safety Problems
- NYC DOB 2018 Safety Report Card
- Correction and Prevention
- Module 8 Quiz
Module 9: Worksite Safety Violations
- Areas of Noncompliance
- Penalties for Noncompliance
- Correcting Violations
- Module 9 Quiz
Module 10: Worksite Emergencies
- Emergency Situations
- Emergency Action Plan
- NYC Unsafe Condition (311) Notification Procedure
- NYC/DOI Buildings Integrity Training Contact Information
- Module 10 Quiz
Module 11: Safe Tools Use on the Worksite
- Regulations for Safe Tool Usage
- Safe Practices for Tool Usage
- Module 11 Quiz
Module 12: Other Safety Protocols and Regulations
- Standpipe Inspection
- Concrete Safety
- Cranes and Derricks Safety
- Supported/Suspended Scaffolds Safety
- Shed Safety
- Module 12 Quiz
The course ends with an exam that assesses the student's comprehension and understanding of all course and module objectives.