The 2-Hour Toolbox Talks course is a DOB-approved Site Safety Training (SST) course for NYC construction supervisors that provides a detailed overview of how to lead effective toolbox talks. These regularly scheduled safety briefings inform workers of job-specific hazards and promote training and workplace safety compliance among your team.
This 100% online course provides two hours of DOB-approved Site Safety Training that you can apply toward your Supervisor SST card. You’ll learn about the importance of toolbox talks and effective techniques for planning and running engaging safety meetings.
About the 2-Hour Toolbox Talks Course
Free audio narration and Live Chat support
New York City Department of Buildings (DOB)
100% online course
Instant digital certificate for 2 hours of Site Safety Training
NYC Construction Superintendents, Site Safety Coordinators, Site Safety Managers and Competent Persons
Who Should Take 2-Hour Toolbox Talks?
This DOB-approved SST course is designed for New York City construction workers seeking an SST Supervisor card under Local Law 196.
NYC construction workers who require this training may include:
- Construction Superintendents
- Site Safety Coordinators
- Site Safety Managers
- Competent Persons
For additional information on SST training requirements, including elective options and a list of required courses for the Supervisor SST card, see our guide to Local Law 196.
This course trains construction supervisors to lead effective toolbox talks that reinforce the importance of workplace safety. Toolbox talks are casual and informative meetings that focus on safety and health topics related to a specific job, including hazard awareness and safety best practices.
You’ll learn everything you need to know about toolbox talks, including planning, presenting, recordkeeping and avoiding common errors. Plus, you’ll develop an example toolbox talk using a provided template.
The course is 100% online and approved by the New York City Department of Buildings (DOB). It provides two hours of Site Safety Training (SST) credit that NYC construction workers can apply toward their Supervisor SST card.
Benefits of 2-Hour Toolbox Talks:
- 24/7 course access
- Log off anytime without losing your place
- Audio narration
- Interactive quizzes
The course takes at least two hours to complete. You must take a five-question quiz at the end of each module and pass a 20-question comprehensive final exam. The exam and all quizzes are multiple choice, and you have an unlimited number of attempts to pass.
You are required to score at least 80% on each quiz and at least 70% on the final exam to receive SST course credit. Once you pass each course module quiz and the final exam, you can instantly download a digital Certificate of Completion. You must complete your training within 180 days of purchase.
This course does not provide an SST card. To get your Supervisor SST card, you need to finish all your required training and provide your course certificates to a DOB-approved Site Safety Training provider.
American Safety Council is accredited by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). American Safety Council complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard, which is recognized internationally as a standard of excellence in instructional practices. As a result of this accreditation, American Safety Council is authorized to issue the IACET CEU.
American Safety Council is authorized by IACET to offer 0.2 CEUs for this program.
This course teaches New York City construction supervisors how to plan and conduct engaging toolbox talks that promote the importance of workplace safety and training.
Upon completing the course, you will be able to:
- Describe how toolbox talks reinforce training and safety compliance
- State why toolbox talks are needed on a worksite
- List appropriate methods for obtaining feedback from workers during and after a toolbox talk
- Explain how toolbox talks increase camaraderie and communication and create a positive culture of worksite safety
You can find an outline of all course modules below.
The course is divided into three modules covering the basics of toolbox talks. Each module ends with a brief quiz, and you must pass a final exam to receive your SST training credit.
The course introduction provides a brief overview of the course, including key learning objectives and facts about Site Safety Training.
Module 1: Toolbox Talk Basics
Topics covered in Module 1 include:
- Reasons for toolbox talks
- Who should lead and attend
- When and where to meet
- Toolbox talk components
- Meeting topics, feedback and recordkeeping
Learning objectives include:
- Explain why toolbox talks are conducted on the worksite
- Discuss logistical details of holding a toolbox talk, such as location, time of day and instructor
- List the components that make up a toolbox talk, including topic, method of instruction, materials needed, feedback and evaluation
Module 2: Engaging Adult Learners
Topics covered in Module 2 include:
- Presenting an engaging toolbox talk
- Preparation, delivery and error traps
- Assessing learning through feedback and evaluation
Learning objectives include:
- List effective methods for preparing and delivering an engaging toolbox talk
- Discuss how to avoid common errors while presenting a toolbox talk
- Explain how to assess the value and effectiveness of a toolbox talk
Module 3: Recordkeeping and Resources
Topics covered in Module 3 include:
- Archiving your teaching materials
- Safety resources for workers
- Creating a toolbox talk using a template
- Toolbox talk presentations
Learning objectives include:
- State best practices for recording and archiving toolbox talks
- List OSHA resources that address workers’ rights to a safe workplace
- Develop an example toolbox talk using a template