Competent Person: Fall Protection provides comprehensive online training to become an OSHA-compliant competent person (CP) in the construction industry. These designated employees are tasked with identifying, controlling and correcting fall hazards in the workplace.
Fall protection is crucial for maintaining a safe jobsite and preventing falls that could result in serious injury or death. Our 100% online course satisfies OSHA’s fall protection requirements for construction sites. Students can train at their own pace and will receive a certificate of completion after finishing the course.
OSHA Competent Person: Fall Protection Course Details
Competent Persons in Construction Who Identify, Control and Correct Fall Hazards
100% Online Course
Digital Certificate of Completion
Fall Protection Competent Person Training Benefits
Benefits of our training course include:
- 100% Online
- Compliant with OSHA 1926.32(f)
- Instant Course Certificate Download
- Includes a Free Fall Protection Checklist PDF
- Bulk Discounts Available
Your fall protection competent person training online will include an overview of competent persons, fall protection awareness, understanding and applying OSHA fall protection, identifying fall hazards in the workplace and how to take action.
Who Needs Fall Protection Competent Person Training?
Businesses and construction sites may be required to designate an OSHA competent person who is responsible for identifying, controlling and correcting fall hazards in the workplace. Whether you are currently a competent person or seeking this designation, you can complete this OSHA-compliant training program to obtain a competent person certificate.
Fall protection competent person training may be required for:
- Construction workers
- Maintenance workers
- Emergency responders
- Bridge and tower workers
- Warehouse and distribution workers
- Oil and gas workers
- Window washers
- Utility workers
- And more
Individuals can take this course to meet regulatory or employer requirements or as a personal choice in their career exploration.
Competent Person: Fall Protection training includes a final exam and a variety of knowledge checks and interactive activities.
The comprehensive final exam contains 50 multiple-choice questions and must be completed within 180 minutes. Students have three attempts to pass the exam with a score of at least 80%. If a passing score isn’t achieved after three tries, you must re-register for the course and start over.
Throughout the course’s four learning modules, you’ll explore OSHA fall protection regulations for the construction industry through real-life case studies and fictional scenarios. You will also complete interactive activities where you can identify fall hazards and select appropriate corrective measures.
Course exercises and activities are graded, but there is no minimum passing score. They are primarily designed to help you practice and apply the skills learned in the course. A competent person certificate is issued following course completion.
Course Learning Objectives
After completing Competent Person: Fall Protection, students will be able to:
- Define competent persons and explain their importance
- Explain the standards and regulations related to fall protection, including OSHA standards and industry best practices
- Identify existing and predictable hazards in working conditions
- Outline the skills and abilities required to act as a competent person
- Describe effective communication skills and provide guidance on fall protection
Competent Person: Fall Protection is a 3.5-hour course that prepares students to identify and correct workplace fall hazards, prevent accidents, understand the responsibilities of competent persons and more. Explore the topics and objectives of each module below.
Module 1: Introduction to Competent Persons and Fall Protection
Topics covered in Module 1 include:
- Becoming a competent person
- Fall protection and competent persons terminology
- Types of fall protection systems
- Importance of competent persons for fall protection
- Components of fall protection plans
- Dangers of being a competent person
Learning objectives include:
- Identify the OSHA definitions relevant to fall protection and competent persons
- Explain why CPs are important in the real world
- Describe the importance and components of fall protection plans
- List dangers associated with serving as a competent person
Module 2: Understanding and Applying OSHA Fall Protection Standards
- OSHA 1926 Subpart M standards
- Personal protective equipment requirements
- Rescue strategies
- Fallen roofer case study
- Falling objects case study
- Deteriorated scaffold case study
Learning objectives include:
- Outline the OSHA 1926 Subpart M standards relevant to competent persons
- Complete three real-world case studies on fall protection
- Summarize lessons learned from the case studies
Module 3: Identifying Fall Hazards
- Common fall hazards on construction sites
- Identifying and communicating fall hazards
- Hazard identification activities
Learning objectives include:
- Name the common hazards associated with fall protection on construction sites
- Explain the role of a CP in identifying and communicating hazards
- Explore simulations of common workplace fall hazards
Module 3 also provides a downloadable Fall Protection Checklist for the construction industry. This checklist helps competent persons organize information and ensure they check for common workplace fall hazards.
Module 4: Taking Action
Topics covered in Module 4 include:
- Identifying hazards and taking responsible action
- Using appropriate authority
- Competent person responsibilities in real-world situations
- Legal liability of CPs
Learning objectives include:
- Explain the importance of taking action and using appropriate authority
- Identify the responsibilities of the CP in real-world situations
- Define potential liability of a CP
- Describe a CP’s role and the importance of fall protection
Competent Person: Fall Protection Training FAQs
Is this course compliant with OSHA?
Yes, this course is fully compliant with OSHA standard 29 CFR 1926.32(f). It covers fall protection standards for construction outlined in OSHA 1926 Subpart M.
Can I complete competent person training online?
Yes! This OSHA-compliant fall protection course can be taken 100% online. Upon completion of the course and final exam, you can instantly download your certificate of completion.
What is OSHA’s definition of a competent person?
In general, OSHA defines a competent person as someone who is:
- Knowledgeable of applicable standards
- Capable of identifying workplace hazards
- Authorized to take corrective measures to eliminate hazards
Fall protection is crucial in the construction industry to prevent falls that could result in serious injury or death. A fall protection competent person is an employer-designated individual with extensive knowledge of fall hazard prevention. They can identify common hazards and train staff on fall protection systems, including their proper use and maintenance.
Our fall protection competent person training provides an overview of relevant OSHA definitions and standards, describes the various types of fall protection systems and equipment available to construction workers and emphasizes the competent person’s role in maintaining a safe workplace.
Will I receive an OSHA competent person certification?
While OSHA does not certify competent persons, the course is fully compliant with OSHA 1926.32(f) and outlines key fall protection standards for the construction industry. After completing the course and passing the final exam, students can instantly download a competent person certificate of completion.
Business owners and jobsite supervisors seeking to designate a competent person can assign this training to prepare employees to identify, control and correct fall hazards on the jobsite. Designated competent persons can also complete the course to refresh their knowledge of OSHA standards and hazard prevention.
How long does the course take to complete?
Competent Person: Fall Protection will take at least 3.5 hours to complete. Students have up to 180 minutes to successfully pass the final exam.
How long do I have to complete the course?
You have 180 days to complete your training after registering for the course.
How long is my Competent Person: Fall Protection training valid?
Your course certificate will not expire. However, it’s recommended to refresh your training every three years.
What is fall protection competent person training?
Fall protection training for competent persons helps ensure construction jobsites are free from avoidable fall hazards that put worker safety at risk.
Our Competent Person: Fall Protection training course explains the responsibilities of a designated competent person and prepares workers to identify, control and correct workplace fall hazards.
This training prepares competent persons to assess the workplace for potential fall hazards, including obvious hazards and more subtle hazards that may be overlooked. It explains how to eliminate or minimize these hazards through a variety of techniques, such as installing guardrails, using safety nets and ensuring workers use personal fall arrest systems properly.
In addition to technical knowledge, a competent person for fall protection should have excellent communication and leadership skills. They should be able to effectively communicate safety requirements and procedures to workers and lead by example in demonstrating safe work practices.
- Fatigue Awareness
- Work Zone Safety
- Struck-By Hazard Protection
- Hazardous Chemical Information
- OSHA Forklift Certification Course